ASHEVILLE, N.C. (828newsNOW) — Buncombe County commissioners approved a $1.6 million design contract Tuesday for a proposed indoor recreation center, backed economic development incentives for Southeastern Container and voiced support for a proposed bicycle safety law.
The Aug. 18 meeting also included public hearings on disaster recovery funding, economic development incentives and a zoning change for a Swannanoa campground.
Indoor recreation center moves forward
Commissioners approved a $1,599,220 design contract with Method Studio for a proposed indoor recreation center at Buncombe County Sports Park.
The proposed facility would be built near Sand Hill School Road and Apac Drive, next to the park and community garden.
Early plans call for basketball and volleyball courts, locker rooms, a catering kitchen, multipurpose rooms for community events and possible polling sites, conference rooms and office space for Parks and Recreation staff.
County officials said the facility could also provide additional access points to the sports park, potentially helping ease traffic during busy events. It could also expand the county’s ability to use the park for emergency operations.
The need for an indoor recreation facility was identified through the county’s Comprehensive Facility Plan, feedback from the Parks and Recreation Master Plan and the fiscal year 2027 Capital Improvement Plan.
The design contract includes concept development, cost modeling, construction documents, permitting, bidding and construction administration.
County officials said the building would be designed to meet high-performance building standards, including energy-efficiency measures and solar power.
County seeks Helene recovery funding
Commissioners also held a public hearing on potential applications for the state’s competitive Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery Community Infrastructure program.
The first funding round has about $55 million available statewide, with individual projects capped at $15 million.
Buncombe County is considering applications for three projects addressing needs left by Tropical Storm Helene: parks recovery, infrastructure at the county-owned Ferry Road affordable housing site and resiliency improvements at critical county facilities focused on power redundancy.
Eight residents spoke during Tuesday’s hearing.
Public comments will be accepted through Aug. 28. The county’s final applications are due Sept. 16.
Comments can be submitted to the Buncombe County Helene Recovery Office by email at helenerecovery@buncombenc.gov, by phone at 828-250-6100 or by mail to 200 College St., Asheville, NC 28801. The email subject line should say “Community Infrastructure Comment.”
Southeastern Container expansion gets incentives
Commissioners approved an $85,000 local economic development incentive for Southeastern Container, a manufacturer planning a $31 million expansion at Enka Commerce Park.
Combined with a previously awarded $100,000 NC Commerce Building Reuse grant, the project could receive $185,000 in public incentives.
The local incentive has a six-year term and is performance-based, with payments tied to actual job creation and investment.
Southeastern Container announced in February that the expansion would create 12 full-time jobs with an average wage of $32.90 an hour.
County officials said the project aligns with Buncombe County’s goal of increasing average wages and total employment.
No members of the public spoke during the hearing.
Commissioners support proposed 92-bed hospital
Commissioners also approved a letter of support for UNC Health West Medical Center’s Certificate of Need application for a proposed 92-bed acute-care hospital.
The proposed hospital would be located west of the French Broad River near an interstate interchange.
The county’s letter says the project could help provide a more accessible, well-distributed network of emergency and inpatient care across Buncombe County, particularly as the region continues to recover from Helene.
Support voiced for Lennie’s Law
Commissioners also expressed support for the Leonard Antonelli and Jacob Hill Bicycle Safety Zone Act of 2025, known as Lennie’s Law.
The proposed law was created in response to a 2025 crash that killed two cyclists and injured another.
The county resolution supports creating Bicycle Safety Zones, adding traffic-calming measures and working with the North Carolina Department of Transportation, French Broad River Metropolitan Planning Organization and local governments to improve safety along N.C. 251 and other key corridors.
Commissioner Drew Ball read the resolution during Tuesday’s meeting and thanked residents who advocated for the legislation during public comment.
Swannanoa KOA zoning change approved
Commissioners approved a zoning map amendment for Kampgrounds of America properties along U.S. 70 in Swannanoa.
The property is currently used as an RV park with cottages and camping, along with a vacant commercial space. It will be rezoned from Commercial to R-3 Residential.
County planner Shannon Capezzali said the change is consistent with the Buncombe County 2043 Comprehensive Plan.
One resident spoke during the public hearing.
County recognizes 13 employees
Commissioners also recognized 13 county employees as part of the new Elevate Buncombe employee recognition program.
The county received 59 nominations for the awards. The employees recognized were:
- Rocio Borghini, Human Resources
- Tom Braine, Information Technology
- Robert Brown, General Services
- Lauren Couch, Health and Human Services
- Matt Evans, Finance
- Tracie Franklin, Health and Human Services
- Sgt. Bryan Freeborn, Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office
- Kelly Houston, Risk and Compliance
- Neggy Rodriguez-Fox, Election Services
- Felissa Vazquez, Health and Human Services
- Jen Waite, Libraries
- Conner White, Recreation Services
- Jack Wright, General Services
Commissioners also heard an annual update from the Strategic Partnership Grants Committee, which provides funding to nonprofit organizations working on Buncombe County’s strategic priorities and Helene recovery.
The committee oversees $1 million in funding, with individual projects eligible for up to $85,000. Sixteen projects received funding in areas including environmental protection, community health, education and economic development.
The committee also has vacancies and is accepting applications.
The next regular meeting of the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners is scheduled for Sept. 1.
